The Cat's Meow

The absurd world through the eyes of a cat...one who occasionally grumbles...

9.25.2003

Man, I know a lot about history and WW2. It was a passion back in the day, and I realized when telling Tim about the Arizona (Pearl Harbor), that I can talk at length about the period surrounding the war. I also realized that I sound like my grandfather when I do.

I should go visit him. Maybe play a round of gold with him. He'd like that.
That's one of those little things in life that make it better. Make people want to keep going. That's a good thing to aspire to. A smile here, a joke there. Nothing malicious. Couldn't live with myself. People tend to be dire in times like these, and it's nice to try and make them feel better. From and old man to a small child, kindness should never be spared. That's something to live by, even if it is a little disjointed and optimistic.

Oh yeah. I think that the rule in dorm assassins barring alliances is bullshit. You heard it here first, follks. If I am DQed, so be it. I like playing off of other people. It's all a plan, see. Make them do the work and I reap the benefits, yeah. That's the ticket. Be a sneaky bastard, and win the game.

(really though, I know I am going to lose)

Is mercy really for the weak? What about blowing up your child to strike a moral blow at your enemies? Vietnam was hell...I want to read more about it! Loved Tim O'brien's "The Things We Carried", and I want to know more about the mental anguish of the people involved in this surreal event. The same thing with WW1. How does one deal with unspeakable horror and disaster? Some people in WW1 found a severed hand in their trenches, a gruesome find, but really not that uncommon in those dark days. SO what did the wily Brits do with it? They stuck it in the wall. Why? Because they needed luck. In the ultimate absurdist move, they would shake the hand before going over the top, before facing death in barbed wire and machine guns. These men saw the joke, saw how funny everything really is, and what could they do about it? No matter which way they ran they were going to be shot, so why not shake the hand and face it with your chin held high. Who knows, maybe they would take some Jerries with them, maybe that was enough for them, the senseless slaughter. Over a million people killed in a single battle. 3 million killed in Rwanda over land. What land is this? Our ancestral home, but not even close. People just need a reason, need a cause to kill, and once they do, they're hooked.

"Oh you must be very busy"

Killing people is a full time job for some, and a hobby for others. Which is scarier?
I think the hobbyist, because at least the man doing the job is getting paid for it, and not doing it for the shear enjoyment of the act.

Which brings me back to dorm assassins. How sick is this game that we have to hunt down and kill people that we know well. We have to shoot them face to face, and then take their gun as our trophy. Ha ha! I have slain the beast! Let me take its horn! But wait, we meet new people! That's a good reason, if there is any, I believe. Could be worse. Could really be killing people we've just met, and that, folks, would be a bad thing.

Sleep well, and wake up early, and hope that someone isn't going to bury you in the woods.

Wait, that's really dire. How about this:

Peaches and puppydogs frolicking in snow! Yay! Happy days, with Fonzie, the coolest man with a name that would kill even the horniest persons libido, but he got the girls, the boys, and even Mork at one point, though you didn't hear it from me. I'm not saying Fonzie was gay, all I'm saying is that he jumped a shark. Take that to mean what you will, though I take it to mean that he jumped a shark in a poorly filmed sequence. So be it!

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home