The Cat's Meow

The absurd world through the eyes of a cat...one who occasionally grumbles...

6.30.2005

One thing I've been doing for over a decade or so is play hockey as a goalie. This sport has really just been a huge part of my life. I love it dearly, and it really has helped me both socially and physically. It's just one of those total package deals. It's my secret hobby that beats the shit out of me, but I love every second of it.

I'm sitting here right now at 6:27 pm trying to kill time before a game, and I realized something. I'm nervous. Really nervous. This happens every single time I play. It kills me to think about it, that the last line is me, and if I have an off night the team loses. That's the killer, the team aspect of it. There are about 15 guys out there that are counting on me having a good night. Just a little pressure.

So for over 10 years I've been getting nervous, losing my appettite, and in generally feeling unsure. Butterflies are a regular occurance, and something I know far too well. There are stories about old time NHL goalies throwing up before every game because they were so nervous. I understand that. I'm playing in a nothing league to kill time. They were playing in the majors, with Lord Stanley's Cup on the line.

Then again, you have guys like Lester Patrick. Mr. Patrick was the coach of the New York Rangers way back in the day. During one playoff game, his goalie was hit in the face with a puck. Being before the time of face masks, the goalie was lost, having to get a few dozen stitches in his face. The ref confronted Patrick and said he needed a goalie. In a bind, and already down a few players, he bit the bullet and got in nets. The team knew this was a precarious position, and that Patrick had never played goal before. They bolstered his confidence with some light shots, and then threw him to the wolves.

Patrick won the game. The Rangers also won the cup that year, partially with Patrick in nets. Because of his fearlessness and just shear ability, the NHL made the Lester Patrick trophy to honor outstanding coaches who put it all out there.

Or there's the story of Georges Vezina. He played for the Montreal Candiens in the 20s, and was so devoted to his team that he played through the playoffs with a fever, eventually collapsing on the ice. He knew that all his boys were relying on him, and he gave it his all, literally. He died of TB about a month or two after collapsing on the ice. Today, the Vezina Trophy is given to the best goalie in the NHL.

There are also little stories too. The goalie mask was created by Jacques Plante after he had been hit in the face during a game and had been stitched up. He went to the back and realized his team didn't have a backup, so he needed to get back in the game. He came out wearing a goalie mask, which actually had been created before Plante, but never really used. It was a matter of pride, but Plante knew that his face mattered more than pride, and that his team needed him. He wore the mask for the rest of his career, and eventually other goalies started to as well.

While we're here, let's not forget Charles Rayner. He was a NY goalie who later would make it into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He posted good numbers, but one story always got me. During a scramble behind his net, where everyone was tied up, the puck squirted out in front of the net. With the ice mostly to himself, and being one of the more mobile goalies ever to play, he took the puck and skated the length of the ice, scoring a goal. People like Ron Hextal would later score goals, but this is probably the only case of a goalie scoring on another goalie. It's partly legend, having occurred outside of the NHL, but it persists.

I'm not sure really why I started talking about those guys, but I did. I've always liked the lore that surrounds this position, the grace, and the athleticism. Superstition is a huge part of it too. You have to get into your game mode, after all. Personally, I put everything on my left side first, skate the same pattern whenever I first get on the ice, and generally remain stoic. I know that if I get it into my mind that I can get a shutout, I won't. The most memorable occasion of this happened during a game I was playing for my father's team. I was a minute away from a shutout, and there was a timeout. I went to the bench, and someone mentioned the possibility to me. I knew I was doomed.

So we get out on the ice again. There is a faceoff, they win it. The puck gets taken back to the point, and there is a fair amount of traffic, but I can see the shooter. He shoots wide. I move to play it wide, but then something happens. The puck hits my father in the ass, changing the trajectory. It goes from left to right, and I can't get back in time. My father's ass cost me a shutout.

It's a fun sport, funny at times, intense, demanding, but it's something I love, and as much as it takes out of me, I can't stop playing. My knees, ankles, shoulders, and hands have all taken some abuse from it, but I keep coming back.

And in about an hour, I'll be back again.

Here's to a good game.

-ccm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home