The Cat's Meow

The absurd world through the eyes of a cat...one who occasionally grumbles...

10.04.2004

Live long and then we die.

My great aunt died on the day I saw TMBG in NYC. An odd mix of emotions to say the least. I had fun that night, missing Bridget by her blonde hair in Irving Plaza, doing a double shot of Wild Turkey, and just sort of feeling life as it washes over me. I didn't know anything then, and now I feel even stupider. It was a strange thing, to think of what went on then, and even stranger now. When I heard the news I was oddly unemotional, I mean, I only really knew her for the last 8 years, maybe, not even that. I did know her though, and now I'll miss her. I was not as close to her as my grandmother, but in a way I feel the same about it; a lot of old memories are being brought up in my head. Nostalgia takes over, and theres that empty feeling in my stomach. My life then compared to now is so different, and in all honesty it'll just keep getting different.

We all get older, but I want to be like Rita Gronne and have a good time getting old. The one thing that I can take from my short time with her is that you have to live life to the fullest. If you want to do something, do it. Why wait? Who knows when you'll be run down, killed, catch the plague, or anything. It's sad to think that I only realize this with death, but it's true. We take living for granted, just like so many small things. To be able to do in a single day what I do would be the gift of a lifetime to some, just for the luxury of it. The fact that I'm not going hungry, by any means, is a clear sign that I'm a lot better off than the vast majority of the world. The fact that you are reading this means you are too.

I feel detatched to a degree. Right now I am alone in my house, the only one awake, and if given the opportunity I would hug Satan, I feel so alone. Marc Summers is on the TV talking about Disney, but even the magic kingdom holds nothing for me now. All I can do is just think, sleep, and go see her tomorrow, all laid out for the viewing. There I will say the final goodbye to a woman I didn't know as well as I would have liked, who lived a story so complex and heartwrenching that it would make you cry to hear it, who lived and saw so much. She faded away.

Her nurses bathed her in lotion when they laid her out. They took great care of her because they liked her. To appease her spirit they took great care of their friend, tucking her in for the night and giving her an extra pillow for the trip. they took good care of her, and it will show. When she gets to the dance, everyone will marvel at how milky her skin is, and then she'll twirl for an eternity with those she loved, never having to see those she hated, and living a dream. A ball for her, everyday.

I miss Nana.

-ccm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home