The Cat's Meow

The absurd world through the eyes of a cat...one who occasionally grumbles...

10.18.2004

Et tu Brute?

It may be preemptive, but I get the very strong feeling that a friend of mine is going behind my back to try and undermine something that I have been trying to do for a while. Phil. Stop it. Please.

Phil is a nice guy. He can be really sweet sometimes, and fun, but he has a habit of trying to steal the spotlight, and in particular just steal. It is not something I really want to do, but I am, at this moment, possibly the most revved up and angry I have been in a while. Why? Because of betrayal, or the specter of it.

To a college student, a man in any setting, there is a slang term called cockblocking. It is the notion that one man sees a woman he likes, and decides to make a move towards her. Cockblocking occurs when someone else comes in and thwarts the original sir's efforts. This happened to me numerous times in the past few days. Phil knows that I like this girl, and that I have been trying to work up the will to talk to her, and yet he kept moving in and talking to her, which in itself is not harmless. The harm is caused when I finally do work up the gumption, and have a 1 on 1 conversation with the girl, and he is there, over my shoulder, interjecting himself.

I am not one to point fingers, in fact I hate making people feel bad, making anyone feel bad. It is one of my flaws. I gave the man the benefit of the doubt, numerous times. There is a point where even the fool becomes wise, and all the denial in the world won't help.

Phil was cockblocking.

As much as I did not want to think about it, at all, to think that he may be undermining me, it was there, in front of my eyes. He would always be around her. He would put the blame on me for not interjecting into their conversation, about not making myself appear bigger. This man knows damn well that that is not in my character, that I will not interrupt people talking. That I could live with though...if he didn't know that I liked this girl, but alas, he did, and yet he would keep at it. He made himself the big man, and even with 8 other people telling him, he would not back down. He is very bad at helping a friend.

There may be a reason that he's so bad.

I don't care if fate leads two people together, that happens. I don't care if i like a girl and someone goes with her because they didn't know. I despise "claiming" people. Saying that a girl is yours, and that no one can talk to her. That stuff is just sexist and stupid. There is a difference, however, with making your motives known to your friends, and then having one of them come and slap you in the face. That' not cool.


(i wrote that last night, before anything happened really. It was a draft, but I'm posting it anyway...it was the first draft I've ever withheld, and honestly that sort of self censoring shit is not what I am about at all)

-ccm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home