The Cat's Meow

The absurd world through the eyes of a cat...one who occasionally grumbles...

11.14.2004

Surfing for Love on I-95

Have you ever been driving?
Good. That makes this story a little easier to explain.

Driving on I-95 is a zen like experience. You go along for the ride, and just watch the edges of the lanes. Things are fine until someone tries to edge you out of your space, then you just change speeds to get out of the trouble. After about an hour of that, I get bored though, I am a child of the 80s and 90s and I need shiny objects to distract me. Driving near exit 30 something I found one.

It wasn't shiny. It was a beat up red Acura or Honda, same difference, but that was not what was important. It passed me in the left hand lane, the fast lane, and paused next to me for a second. Through the rear passenger window I ventured a glance and saw a pink scarf, a hand holding coffee, and one of the most instantly beautiful people that I have ever seen. She was young, about my age, and there was just something in that scarf that said we would be soul mates. Proving her likeness to me, she hit the gas and took off.

Now this was a turning point in my trip back. I was in love. The red car drove away with my heart. Feeling a hole in my chest, I gave chase. Not in an active swerving through traffic kind of way, but in the sense of trying to ride the currents to just get another glance at her. It's sort of an odd thing. You see a person once, and you know that you will only see them once, so why not see them a second time? Break the chain, so at least you can say, "Wow, I saw the most beautiful person ever. Twice."

I was chasing her. I hopped into the fast lane, being about 4 cars back. Then it hit me. This is a metaphor for my life. I'm always chasing something, or someone. They are always passing me by, and I look ahead and I see them, 4 cars ahead, but at this point we are moving at the same speed. Like Kipling said, never gaining, never falling. There was no way to get any closer, the only thing to do was drift away. I watched that red car drive into the distance.

Feeling a little detatched I continued driving. I kept in the fast lane, watching the exits count down to 15, where I get off. I moved from the left, to the middle, to the right lane, the slow one. I moved there, and I stayed there. Then a funny thing happened.

Red.

There it was, there she was. Suddenly I was excited. All good things happen to those who wait, or just stop caring, the path of non-action pays off. Triumphantly, and feeling kind of stupid over the whole thing, I drive past her car, on the left side.

Man was she ugly.

-ccm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home